Thursday, January 8, 2015

One Long Hiatus Later...

Sorry for the lengthy silence, ravenous fans!  Between writing reports, studying for final exams, packing and then being at home for Christmas I haven't had time to write.  But, I'm back now.  Back in Edinburgh and back to writing on everything you need to know about my life here!

Let's play a bit of catch-up first, though.  So, between all the studying (wink wink), I was able to do a FEW fun things, too.  All work and no play makes Liz a dull girl.  First on the list way back in November was Thanksgiving dinner. Some of my flatmates had never had a proper Thanksgiving feast, so my American flatmate Alyssa and I cooked up some traditional fare with help from her parents and old family recipes from my family.  We had turkey, stuffing, cranberry glaze, rolls, homemade mac and cheese, mixed veggies, and sweet potatoes!

In early December we went for a stroll through the Christmas Market which is hard to miss as it is in the Princes Street Garden, right below the castle and across from all of the shopping.  There were rides, delicious food from all over, hot alcoholic drinks and holiday bobs and bits like ornaments, nutcrackers and wooden ties.  I don't know why there were wooden ties, but there were. It was weird.


 
 

After my big exam on the 12th, my program pals threw a major party and invited what felt like half of Edinburgh!  We went to a place that was, fittingly, called the Kasbar - and of course we rocked it.  That was a great way to spend my last evening in Edinburgh before getting on the plane the next day and flying home.  (Or at least that's what I thought at the time - I ended up having a nightmare flight scenario and got stranded in London after a day of delays and cancellations, but, I digress, I did end up making it home safe and sound).


While most the people who read this will have seen me over the holidays, I'll just say that I was welcomed back to Chicago with open arms from both friends and family and I couldn't be more appreciative of the lasting friendships I've made and maintained in that city.  I hung out for a week and half in Chicago, enjoying Christmas Cocktails Parties, Book Club sleepovers and two notable nights on the town - one near six corners and one at Cesars for killer margaritas - and, most importantly, catching up with all my dearest kitties!
 

 

At home, I hung out with the family for another week and got to play with the niece and nephew (not to mention teaching them the fine art of dance-offs), talk books with my sister-in-law, do crosswords with my dad and watch  movies with my mom!  It was a relaxing time and it felt so nice to be home.  Leaving there and saying goodbye to my dear dog Hades again was the worst!
 



I returned to Edinburgh for New Years Eve - or Hogmanay as they call it here - and partook of the amazing street party they threw.  There were fireworks every hour leading up to midnight, culminating in an amazing display with the castle as the backdrop!  There was also a cool stage that I spent my time at called Hot Tub Time Machine where a deejay spun tunes from every year starting in 1954 and heading up to 2014!


I've mostly been laying low since New Years and have just been preparing for school to start up again, but I did go on a fun day trip today to the Royal Botanic Gardens!  More photos will be on Facebook, but here are a few, as well.  Lovely long walk and I couldn't believe how gorgeous it looked during winter! Plus, best of all, it was free!

 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for rocking the "Kasbar" as you should! It was so great to see you briefly while you were here, Liz!
    Let's video-chat soon! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric! I miss you, too. While writing this I was cursing myself for not taking any pictures the night of the Holiday Cocktails party! I don't have any with you or Bronny. :( But yes, video chat soon!

      Delete