Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Aaaannnd I'm Scottish Now.

The days since I've arrived have been a complete whirlwind!  Dear Jackie was here with me until this past Saturday evening and then she flew out early on Sunday morning and I was left to my own devices.  Which has turned out to be completely non-disastrous so far, to everyone's surprise.

In the last three days I have hiked up Royal Mile (also known as the Old City) three times.  The first day I explored Edinburgh Castle with Jackie and my new friend and one of my 6 flatmates Alyssa.  It was beyond words, people.  The castle was built in the 12th Century and the oldest building inside is St. Margaret's Chapel, which is below with a ton of other amazing buildings and views included in the castle close.  My favorite thing was the terrific views of the city you can see from the towering height of the castle and the Great Hall which had ancient weaponry and the original, hand-worked beam ceiling that was so intricately designed it's a wonder it has stayed so intact over the years.  The picture I took was dark, so I tried to find a better one - though it's hard to show how awe-inspiring it is in person.
 

On Sunday my flatmates and I decided to go out for "coffee" around 5 in the afternoon and our "coffee" turned into an hours long walking tour of the city.  We went all along Princes Street and up along the Royal Mile again.  The pictures below are the ones I took while walking down one of the busiest streets in Scotland.  It's hard to imagine a more stunning city and for me, the little nerd that I am, the fairy-tale quality and charm of the old buildings never fail to impress!  My favorite building (besides the castle, of course) is actually a monument to Sir Walter Scott.  It's an old, black spire, but it can be seen from almost anywhere in the city and I think the mold really adds to the appeal. :)
 


Monday, I went to my campus, which is shown below (Yes, Chicago friends, it IS like a mixture between the Bean and Soldier Field. #AliensAre4Real) and got my ID card, which is shown nowhere because, honestly, how embarrassing!  I was glad to figure out my route for school now since I have my orientation for my program this Thursday!

I've included a few pics of my room and apartment in case anyone wants to ensure that I'm not living like a vagabond (not the kind of cool version mentioned in the song from the Lion King, either)!  I was worried about living with so many people, but so far it's been great.  The girls are all sweet and Rita from Italy and Tatiana from Greece both love to cook, so I'm happy to have some homemade meals every once in awhile.

  (All of the books I lugged from home are over my desk, where they belong)

The most important part of the last few days, however, is how Scottish I've become. I know some of you will doubt.  You will nay say.  But I have the proof that I am now a bonafide Scottish Lassie.

Step One: Wear Plaid

Step Two: Buy Wellies and Prepare for rain

Step Three - the most important step - Eat Haggis!
  
This is my haggis burger. It was delicious.

Soon enough, I'll be dressed like these people and the transformation will be complete!


2 comments:

  1. Liiiizzz! Your new life sounds incredible! I'm scared you're going to love it too much and never come back. Like ever. We already miss you like cray and literally haven't hung out as a group since you've been gone (mostly out of pure laziness). I'm happy you got a phone though! What's the best way to contact you to chat/video chat (do people still say 'video chat?')?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ERICCCC. Don't worry...I'll probably be back. lol I've been looking for tickets so that I can come home at Christmas for a week or two and hopefully see everyone then! We should do another x-mas drink concoction party because that was stellar. I miss you too! (What's happening with Jonah from Tonga?) And download the WhatsApp app. Then we can text and "voice chat" for free! My number is 07442770450. Love!

    ReplyDelete