Thursday, September 18, 2014

Let's Go to the Beach-each

I'm back!

Things have gotten busier here, as they are prone to do, of course.  Over the past week I have officially started classes and been on a few more exploratory missions around Edinburgh, as well.

Let's get the boring stuff out of the way first, though.  Class.  It's been going pretty well, actually.  I'm taking three courses this trimester: Principles & Practices of Marketing, Intercultural Business Communication, and Tourism Concepts & Issues.  So far, the basic marketing one has been my favorite, though Intercultural communication is always an interesting subject to me, as well.  I have classes on Monday from 10-4, Tuesday from 1-3, and Thursday from 11-1, so I've got some long weekends in my future! (Which I'm already taking advantage of - trust me!)  It's weird to have so much downtime after having worked for a few years, but I'm taking it all in stride and, luckily, I have a beautiful city at my fingertips if I get restless.

Now for what you all want to hear about - traveling!  Last Saturday, a few of my flatmates and I went to Portobello.  It's a small, coastal city that's only about 3 miles east of Edinburgh and lies along the Firth of Forth (say that three times fast!).  The area is very calm and the day we went it was sunny and breezy, lending an air of peacefulness - even amid the local people walking up and down the boardwalks, the screaming children and the dogs!  Pictures from that are below and on my Facebook page.  Also - my flatmates are awesome and so much fun!  We've been having collective meals about once a week, watching movies together and going out - both to explore the city and to enjoy the nightlife (wink).


Here's a pro tip about Edinburgh for anyone who ends up coming to visit me or coming to Edinburgh in general: Bring walking shoes!  The city is set on 7 hills (though it feels more like 7,000 hills) and people walk everywhere!  My flatmate Phoebe's dad described it best when he said that "Edinburgh is a city on a human scale" which means that you don't need anything besides your two feet to see a lot of the area.  One place I walked to recently and that will be of particular interest to all of you Americans, is a bar called Lebowskis.  They serve a massive menu of White Russians - the signature drink of The Dude.

In other exciting news, I am booked to go to London tonight and I will write something up about my adventures there next week - so that's something for you all to look forward to!
Couldn't resist a Harry Potter gif. :)

Love, Fairies and Kilts,

Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment